Saturday 20 July 2013

Garden Of Friends

Good afternoon friends and fellow bloggers.  Since I got back from holiday I haven't really felt like crafting.  Mr Mojo is still in West Wales I think. I hope he returns soon!  Yesterday, although it was still terribly hot, we had a very slight breeze so it was a bit more bearable.  I think it is the humidity that is so wearing and tiring. A dry heat is much easier to cope with.  I actually found the most comfortable spot was sitting under the carport. Fortunately we have no neighbours or they would have thought I was bonkers.  We have even moved downstairs into the guest room temporarily because it is cooler there.  Today is much more comfortable because it is quite breezy.

Before I go any further I would like to say hello and welcome to my latest follower Debbie.  I hope you enjoy what you see here. If you leave a comment than I can visit you in return.

My Card

 

Click on image to enlarge picture

My card today is 6 x 6". I matted some red card stock onto the base card and then ran another piece of white card through the GC using the Dainty Dots folder. I wanted to double mat my stamped image but it would have been too big for the card. Instead I used a technique that I picked up from Becca Feekin's Amazing Paper Grace blog and inked the borders on both die cuts. After inking I then stamped my image and sentiment, and coloured with Promarkers. I must admit it looks fantastic, as if there really is another die cut there. You can find a video tutorial here.  (For some reason the link is not showing up on the post, although it does in the draft. It is there if you just hover your mouse over the space before the bracket.) I think this is a technique that I might well be using often.  Becca prefers to stamp and diecut the image and then ink the border, but I got into bit of a mess that way and kept smudging it, so I I inked the die, cut and embossed it and then stamped the image afterwards. I love the way it looks. My image and sentiment are from JustRite Stamps "Poppies" and die cut with SB Labels 10.  The sentiment was diecut with SB Labels 16.  I cut a length of red card and punched both long edges with  Martha Stewart Scroll Lace punch which I then wrapped with  white ribbon and tied a double bow. This is a length of ribbon that I bought a couple of years ago and "misplaced". I came across it in a drawer in the lounge - obviously got picked up with something else! The tiny poppy in the corner was one cut from the image I spoiled and then I just added some red pearls from my stash to finish.

Well I hope you all enjoy the rest of the weekend. I'm having a quiet week because John is up in Scotland climbing mountains. I'm always relieved in the evening when I get the call that he is safely down.

Love and hugs from Christine xx

Challenges
http://anythingchallenge.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/anything-goes-97.html
http://ilovepromarkers.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/challenge-177-anything-goes.html
http://oldiebutagoodiechallenge.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/in-garden.html
http://dutchdare-cardchallenges.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/226-floral-frenzy-day-for-daisies.html

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Well Christine if this is what you produce when you have no Mojo, I shall look forward to when it returns! LOL!

This is a beautiful card, really it is so stop your mithering!LOL!

Crafty Hugs
Heather xx

janieworkum said...

Een beeldschone kaart
groetjes Janie

Karen Petitt said...

Gorgeous card and thank you for the link to the video Christine. I will be trying this. Not only does it look great and you can perfectly match your colours and you can save some pennies too! Thank you! Have a good weekend and I hope you get that call soon Karen x

Jacqui's little piece of England said...

This is gorgeous Christine love those poppies and the layout of your card
jacqui x

Marie-Louise said...

Gorgeous card Christine. Love this technique.

Doreen said...

Gorgeous,love the image and fab details.xxx

Hazel said...


Gorgeous card Christine. This heat has driven a lot of Mr Mojo's away. Was lovely and cool very early this morning, but oh boy it's hot, hot, again we are lucky our front room is cool, if sitting under the car port is cool you just sit there, as you say no one to see you but who would care. The girls and I sat on the steps at the side of their house facing the paddock yesterday. The garden was a no go area as it was to hot.

Hazel xxx

Sue said...

Such a beautiful card Christine. I'm so glad its cooled down today I've stopped melting for a bit but its all coming back next week LOL huggles Sue xx

Sue said...

Such a beautiful card Christine. I love the image and the way you have inked the borders of the die cut looks so effective.
I hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend
Sue xx

coldwaters2 said...

WOWWWW Christine this is absolutely beautiful, the image of the poppies along with the card design looks fantastic, I love this so much.
hugs
lorraine x

Karla said...

Prachtige kaart Christine, mooie bloemenstempel.
Fijne zondag.

Groetjes Karla

Carole Z said...

Gorgeous Christine, love the image of the poppies and your layout is beautiful, Carole Z X

Unknown said...

Beautiful card, colours and the poppies always seem to make a special kinda classy card...love this one.xxx

scrappymo! said...

What a lovely card...Thanks so much for the tutorial about inking the edge of the die...I am going to give this a ry. It is so expensive to post the thicker cards...this would save a layer of card stock!
Great idea... I think I understand from your description but will check her link too.

Glad you liked the Lodge post...after doing the previous Pow Wow post I decided to do the second one and show the whole day!

I do worry though that I may be boring the viewers...

Brawny x said...

Poppies are my fave flower. A gorgeous card Christine. I love the faux die cut.
Best wishes Lea x

As.I.Do.Rodos. said...

i love poppies this is a gorgeous card. Thank you for joining us at I♥Promarkers good luck Ginny

Jenny L said...

Hi Christine,
fabulous card. It looks like your mjo has made it back from wales.
Love the poppies image and so beautifully coloured in too. great technics.
Hope your still keeping cool.
Have a wonderful crafty day.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Planetsusie said...

Hi Christine - I am so happy today 'cos it is cooler and I am making my little neighbour's 9th birthday card so I'm not melting!!!

Just checked out your poppy card and think it is beautiful! Love the red edge as well, have checked it out and like you I will be doing the other way 'cos I would be smudging ink everywhere otherwise! Great idea to keep cards less weighty and less expensive (post wise). Smashing card.

Do hope John is still enjoying himself.

Hugs to you Sue Pxxx

Planetsusie said...

Just a quick PS Christine - my snippets card has a little freebie digi on it which I coloured with Promarkers.

Hugs Sue xxx

Patricia said...

Good evening Christine,
Love, Love, Love your card those poppies and your edging are perfect.
I previously tried Becca`s method but Oh! man! what a mess so I just gave up.
Glad John is enjoying himself up here in Scotland at least it is not too hot for climbing.
Hugs

Patricia xxx

Dee said...

A really pretty card Christine, I love poppies and you can choose so many colours to adapt to your design. Dee x

Debbie x said...

Beautiful card Christine! Thank you so much for the welcome!
Debbie xxx

Natali said...

Beautiful card. My faivorite colour combination. Love dies you use here and flower image. Gorgeous embossing as well.
Many thanks for joining us at Oldie but a Goodie` “In the Garden” Challenge and we hope to see you again.
Hugs
Natali